The awards of the 12th edition go to Khalil Nemmaoui, Amina Ayman Kadous, Abraham Oghobase, Buhlebezwe Siwani, Christian Nyampeta, Leonard Pongo, Amsatou Diallo and Adeola Olagunju.
The Jury members of the 12th International Biennale for African Photography among president Christine Eyene are artists Dana Whabira and Utche Okpa-Iroha, and Arthur Kibbelaar. They announced the following artist as this years’ honorees:
1. Prix du Président de la République du Mali – Khalil Nemmaoui
In the role of coordinator of the continental organization Arts Culture and Heritage of the African Union bestowed upon him in February 2019 in Addis Abeba.
2. Prix Centre Soleil d’Afrique – Amina Ayman Kadous
Criteria: looking for outstanding female artist from Africa whose work shows signs of promise and development
3. Prix Okwui Enwezor – Abraham Oghobase
Criteria: recognizing the philosophy and concept of reimaging and his contribution to international artistic expression.
4. Prix Bisi Silva – Buhlebezwe Siwani
Criteria: in her quest to encourage research, education and the excellence of artists in Africa through her work as the director Center Contemporary Arts Lagos.
5. Prix De L’Union Européenne – Christian Nyampeta
Criteria: outstanding lens-based media artist
6. Prix de L’OIF – Leonard Pongo
Criteria: for enterprising young artist aged 25-35 years
7. Prix de Reseau Kya – Amsatou Diallo
Criteria: Best Malian photographer artist
8. Prix Seydou Keita – Adeola Olagunju
Criteria: Best photographic creation at the 12th edition of Bamako Encounters. Artist who appropriates critical thinking in the execution of work. Who exhibits an out-of-the-box approach and is technically outstanding.