The Visual Identities in Art and Design Research Centre (VIAD), University of Johannesburg (UJ), is offering a 3-month paid internship position. The internship will expose a recent graduate or new entrant to the job market to the diverse activities of a vibrant Research Centre working in the fields of Art and Design, as well as offer the opportunity to work on a high-profile, international exhibition by Haitian artist Edouard Duval-Carrié, and conference programme to be hosted by VIAD in May 2019.
The Visual Identities in Art and Design Research Centre (VIAD): Internship
Location: University of Johannesburg, Bunting Road campus, Auckland Park, Johannesburg
Salary: R5,000.00 per month (4 days a week)
Duration of contract: 3 months
Starting date: 12th March 2019.
Deadline for application: 28 February 2019, 17h00.
The main duties of the intern will be to:
Provide support to the VIAD curatorial team. Work elements include assistance in the organising and installing of the exhibition, as well as assisting with the associated conference programme.
Provide logistical support to artist-in-residency. Assist with media and publicity (including website and social media updates and other communications).
Support/assist curators, researchers and visiting guests and conference contributors. Assisting with a range of administrative tasks in the organisation of the exhibition and conference.
– A BA degree or equivalent diploma. BA Visual arts or BA Curatorial studies are advantageous.
Good writing and communication skills and a willingness to learn are essential.
– A commitment to the arts, that aligns with VIAD’s vision and objectives, particularly with respect to the Centre’s focus on visual culture and identity construction in postcolonial African and Afrodiasporic contexts.
– A strong interest in curating and arts administration.
– A driver’s license and own car are highly advantageous (but not essential).
– The applicant should be Johannesburg based
– Proficiency in Photoshop and InDesign is an advantage though not required.
– Proficiency in social media platforms is essential.
– Applicants should either be of South African nationality or be in possession of a valid work permit for South Africa.
How to Apply
Please submit a single page motivation, CV (including the contact details of at least two references), and a copy of your ID. Applications should be sent via email.
For additional information www.viad.co.za</a