RMB Latitudes CuratorLab is a practice-based, online curatorial residency for emerging curators in Africa. In 2024, ten aspiring curators will be guided through a facilitated online residency, designed to offer practical experience in the industry and to hone their curatorial skills.
Latitudes knows that programmes focused on fostering professional practice skills for young curators on the continent are slim. For the third iteration of CuratorLab, the reach extends itself to offer the opportunity to Curators from South Africa, Botswana, Ghana, Nigeria, Namibia, Mozambique and Zambia. No formal training is needed and practical curatorial experience is preferred.
As one of 10 curators selected for the RMB Latitudes CuratorLab, you will be offered the following opportunities:
- Plan and conceptualise your own show, centred on artists from your community, that will be hosted on Latitudes Online
- 1-on-1 mentorship by a highly recognised curator in the industry
- A curator profile on Latitudes where you can promote, exhibit and sell your own selection of works
- Networking and peer-review sessions with curators from the continent
- Curatorial professional practice sessions and handbook
- All of the above will be conducted in 11 online sessions hosted weekly
As part of the programme, you will be offered the following professional practice skills while curating your show:
- Understanding the industry on the continent and the diaspora
- Curatorial professional practice; including proposal writing, the conceptualisation of curatorial statements, catalogue and pricing structures and managing relationships
- Getting out there, marketing yourself as a curator and understanding your role
- Digital curation development
- Key business and administrative skills
- Curator profile on Latitudes Online
- Comprehensive marketing campaign and exposure to our database of close to 20,000 newsletter subscribers
- Sales platform for your show, complete with logistic and administrative support
- Plus you get to keep and update your profile as long as you like!
- Applications are open from 1 November – 6 December. Candidates will know the status of their applications by 15 December
- Mentorship and Curatorial programme will run online from 16 January to 1 April
- Shows on Latitudes launch 3 April and run for 6 weeks