In the framework of the Residency Programme Frankfurt Moves! the foundation KfW Stiftung and the Frankfurt LAB invite you to develop artistic productions in the fields of the performing arts and to exchange ideas with other creative artists.
The Artists in Residence will be invited to Frankfurt am Main, a German metropolis in the heart of Europe, for a period of four weeks. The teams will be able to access the professional venues of the Frankfurt LAB and will be provided with dramaturgic and technical support. At the end of the residency, it will be possible to present the results of the work publicly.
In 2022 a total of four residencies at the Frankfurt LAB will be made available for the following time period: 19 July to 19 August 2022
The programme is aimed at promising professional international emerging artists working in the performing arts. They must have produced their first professional productions (max. one international co-production) and must have been trained in Africa, Asia, Latin America or the MENA region. Particular attention will be paid to those who are living and working on the mentioned continents at the time of making the application.
About the Frankfurt LAB
The Frankfurt LAB is a production space for rehearsing and performing experimental works in the fields of the performing arts and contemporary music. Artistic responsibility is shared by its partners the Ensemble Modern, the Dresden Frankfurt Dance Company, the Hessische Theaterakademie, the Hochschule für Music and Darstellende Kunst Frankfurt am Main and the Künstlerhaus Mousonturm.
- Fee (a total of max. 3.000 Euro gross per residency)
- 4 weeks accommodation in Frankfurt for 1-2 persons
- Travel expenses to Frankfurt (round trip) for 1-2 persons
- Material costs (a total of max. 800 Euro gross per residency)
- Professional documentation
- Professional rehearsal space* / use of one of the Frankfurt LAB venues (Hall 1 / Hall
2), including the use of the existing technical equipment
- Workshop presentation** with support by an event technician on 4 days
- Dramaturgic and technical support by staff of the Frankfurt LAB, the partner
institutions and/or external experts
- “Culture voucher” for cultural events in Frankfurt and networking with the regional
*Rehearsal-Space: both venues of the Frankfurt LAB are at the disposal of the four teams, meaning that two teams share a hall, to which they have unlimited access. Both halls are black boxes (Hall 1: 600 square metres, divisible by a curtain / Hall 2: 300 square metre studio stage), which have a grid and numerus hanging possibilities. The Frankfurt LAB also has a kitchen, dressing-rooms and showers for the residents. Existing technical equipment (sound, light, video, stage) can be used by arrangement, and basic technical supervision on site is available.
** The final presentation should provide scope for reflection and exchange and need not be a completely finished production.
Who can apply?
The residency offers excellent conditions for the (further) development and implementation of artistic works, for a maximum two persons per residency. Applications by groups with a larger number of people will have to divide the benefits between the participants.
- Work in the performing arts – interdisciplinary approaches are possible
- Have been trained in Africa, Asia, Latin America or the MENA region (at least one
member of a group)
- Have had first professional experiences (incl. max. one international co-production)
- Name one concrete project idea or specific research project
- Be working on a future-oriented project, not on an already existing production
- Be able to organise a showing of the residency results with the available means +/
- Have the time to spend the complete duration of the residency in Frankfurt am Main
- Be interested in an exchange of ideas with artists and cultural institutions in Frankfurt
- Impart no hostility towards any groups of people in their projects
- Be able to communicate in German or English
How to Apply?
Downloaded the Application Form HERE:
The Application Form requests the applicants to provide details about the project, their motivation for the application and video links to recent works. An additional project description can be entered in PDF form (max. 4 pages)
Please send us the complete application by email ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must arrive at the latest by 30. January 2022 at 23:59 hrs (cet). Applications arriving after the 30. January 2022 will not be considered. Queries may be made by email to: email@example.com
A jury of experts decides on the award of the residencies. The applicants will be informed about the jury’s decision by early March 2022.
D-60326 Frankfurt am Main
Projekt management: Jenny Flügge & Hanke Wilsmann
Tel +49 (0)69 – 94985856
firstname.lastname@example.org / www.frankfurt-lab.de