CALL FOR A CURATOR PROPOSALS: ZIMBABWEAN PAVILION AT THE 56TH VENICE BIENNALE
National Gallery of Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe 25 Mar 2014 - 31 May 2014
The National Gallery of Zimbabwe extends this invitation to Curators, Art Administrators, Art Critics and Academics in the Art field who have an adept knowledge in Curatorial practice on a global level. The successful candidate will be appointed curator of the Zimbabwe Pavilion at the forthcoming 56th Venice Biennale in 2015.
The aim of this exhibition is to give Zimbabwean artists a platform to represent their country, promoting Zimbabwean artistic talent and capability while promoting a positive country image.
The successful candidate will have oversight of the following;
• Conception and realization of the exhibition.
• Creation of the exhibition’s thematic orientation.
• Selection of the artists who will exhibit at the Zimbabwe Pavilion.
• Cooperate with the National Gallery of Zimbabwe facilitation team.
• Maintain direct liaison with the Venice Biennale organizers.
• Work in unison with the exhibition’s technical team.
• Enlist a company responsible for the shipping and forwarding aspects and establish accountability and responsibility for all objects of art.
• Liaise directly with the Zimbabwe Pavilion’s Commissioner.
• Must work in a cohesive manner with the Marketing and Public Relations facet of the project to produce Press Packs, the Pavilion’s Catalogue and Social Media Platform.
• Fund raising capabilities will be a key skill for the prospective candidate.
The event will mark Zimbabwe’s third appearance at the Venice Biennale. The Zimbabwe Pavilion will maintain its exhibition at the Santa Maria della Pieta in the sixth district, Castello in Venice for purposes of consistency.
Applicants must be Art Professionals who have at least 10 years of experience in the sector. The applicant must submit an abstract and a curatorial/exhibition idea for the 56th Venice Biennale that is no longer than 250 words accompanied by a Motivational Statement that is not longer than 500 words. Alongside these two documents must be a budget proposal that outlines the following;
• Commissioning fee of Artworks
• Transport and Insurance Fee
• Curatorial Fee
• Technical installation fee
• Fund Raising Strategy
• Potential Partners.
• What they can bring to the project.
Applications for Curatorship at the 56th Venice Biennale will be assessed by a jury of experts who will be in consultation with the Commissioner of the project. The successful candidate will then be announced through the press and the National Gallery of Zimbabwe website and social network portals.