Gasworks, London, United Kingdom Deadline: 24 January 2017
Portia Zvavahera from Zimbabwe during her residency at Gasworks in 2017
This opportunity will enable an early/mid-career artist based in Africa to undertake a fully-funded residency at Gasworks in London from 2 July to 17 September 2018.
Gasworks’ residencies are opportunities for self-led professional development, artistic exchange and experimentation. This residency also offers the opportunity to engage with The Showroom and the London iteration of the international project Women on Aeroplanes, which is being developed together with The Otolith Collective (Kodwo Eshun and Anjalika Sagar).
Led by curators Annett Busch, Magdalena Lipska and Marie-Helene Gutberlet, the overarching Women on Aeroplanes project is conceived as five exhibitions at five different spaces in Africa and Europe (2017–19), including ifa-Gallery (Berlin), Centre for Contemporary Art (Lagos), Iwalewahaus (Beyreuth) and The Museum of Modern Art (Warsaw). It will look closely at the largely untold stories of women and the important roles they played in the long history of the struggle for independence by African nations in the 1950s and 60s, as well as in the avant-garde art history of the continent. Through contemporary women’s and feminist voices and art practices, the project will make visible women’s contribution within the context of communities and relations; going far beyond the mere replacement of the heroes of independence with the heroines of liberation.
Artists that have developed ideas or would like to use the residency to research themes that either link with or contribute to this project are encouraged to apply.
The Residency Comprises:
– 24-hour access to a fully accessible studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks’ permanent studio holders.
– An Open Studio, or similar public presentations, at Gasworks
– Single room accommodation within Gasworks Residencies House (a 3-story house, shared with 3 other artists-in-residence)
– Basic living expenses in London (£150 p/week)
– Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London
– Travel card (zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency
– Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours)
Application Deadline 24 January 2018
For more information about the residency and how to apply, please visit the gasworks website hereanddownload the information in the Resources section at the bottom of the page.
This residency is developed in partnership with The Showroom and is generously supported by Mercedes Vilardelll.