The Writers Residency is a cooperation between Kunstverein München and the Department of Arts and Culture of the City of Munich. It consists of a two-month stay at Villa Waldberta on Lake Starnberg or Ebenböckhaus in Munich, and a monthly stipend.
The concept takes up the tradition of the town chronicler, who used to go from place to place to record the history of local com-munities and take a new look at lived realities. The intention is to approach fiction and narration outside of traditional exhibition spaces through formats such as public readings in both the place of residence and other venues, like the Kunstverein München. Many writers lead a nomadic working life. The Writers Residency is based on the idea of offering a temporary writing home for two months and enabling discussion and interchange with visitors as well as the city of Munich. Central to the residency is time and space to write – an activity that is often inadequately remunerated and too rarely the subject of funding programs within the art context. Kunstverein München sees its initiative in the context of curation, which derives from the Latin word “curare,” meaning to look after, to care for – originally used in relation to objects, but now extended to people and the hospitality to-wards them.
Who can apply?
Applications are now open to professional artists whose practice is based on writing, as well as writers and critics residing outside of Bavaria. It is open to persons of any age and nationality.
About Villa Waldberta
Villa Waldberta has five apartments (for a total of 5 to 7 guests at the same time) on the upper floors and salons on the ground floor, which are suitable for community activities and are regularly used for events. Villa Waldberta includes the Palm House, a studio of about 70sqm, which can be used all year round as a workspace and for exhibitions, but also for other events.
Villa Waldberta is not barrier-free. Nevertheless, we look forward to receiving applications from people with disabilities and, in the case of suitable applications, will try to find solutions for participation within the scope of our possibilities.
What we offer
• Travel costs (economy class) up to EUR 350,- within Europe and up to EUR 800,- when travelling from outside Europe
• Rent-free apartment per person with its own kitchen and bathroom (the handover is regulated in a separate contract)
• Monthly stipend of EUR 1.200,-
• Monthly ticket for public transport in Munich
• Community rooms
• Working studio with exhibition opportunities (Palm House)
• Public events
We need the following documents (only as PDF)
• Comprehensive artist’s statement (no longer than 1 page) in German or English
• Curriculum vitae in German or English
• Portfolio and / or text examples
We also expect
• Good written and spoken knowledge in German or English
• Commitment to cooperate with the Kunstverein and the team of Villa Waldberta
• Participation in public events
Please send your application as a PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information and queries, please contact email@example.com or Maurin Dietrich, Director t +49 89 200 011 33
Jury and selection process
The selection is made by a committee consisting of representatives of Kunstverein München and the Cultural Department of the City of Munich.