Seeking team member with curatorial and institutional skills
Camera Austria , Graz, Austria Deadline: 15 September 2022
Camera Austria, Graz. Photo: Iris Ranzinger.
Camera Austria—Laboratory for Photography and Theory is looking to hire a new team member specializing in contemporary photography and (photo-)theory to take over curatorial and institutional tasks. The starting date is January 2, 2023, and the position will run three years (with the possibility of extension).
Camera Austria’s history goes back to 1976, when it was founded by artists. It has existed in its present form as an association since 1996. Artists and theorists sit on the board of directors. Camera Austria’s activity is centered on contemporary photography and on artistic practices that put a focus on photography.
The association’s activities include the release of the quarterly magazine Camera Austria International (since 1980), exhibition projects in Camera Austria’s exhibition space in Graz, publications released by the Edition Camera Austria (including distribution), a publicly accessible on-site library with a related public archive and the Pierre Bourdieu photo archive, and the Camera Austria Award for Contemporary Photography by the City of Graz.
We are looking for
– someone who will help to develop exhibition activity further, and to realign the focus of Camera Austria as an institution. These tasks, along with the planning of each year’s exhibition program, are carried out in close collaboration with the board of directors and the team, with a view to interconnections with other Camera Austria activities.
Desired qualities include
– experience in conceiving, planning, and curating exhibitions in the field of photography, as well as in matters related to the practical implementation of such exhibitions
– Willingness to be actively involved in the further development and realignment of Camera Austria’s profile as an institution in the relatively near future
– specialized university degree or appropriate training, plus several years of professional experience in a comparable position
– interest in and knowledge of the art and cultural scene in Austria; good network in the international contemporary photography scene
– passion for theory; knowledge of current debates and discourses related to (post-)photography
– strong interest in digital formats and in the conception of innovative mediation offers
– experience in dealing with cooperation partners and sponsors
– willingness to take on representative tasks; strong interest in cultural policy; experience in acquiring third-party funding and willingness to work in this area
– structured and team-oriented working approach; high level of social competence; strong communication skills
– excellent English and German skills, both orally and in writing (min. level C1)
– work in an independent, established organization with an international network and excellent reputation
– the opportunity to implement specific projects and to engage in the development of Camera Austria’s program and the realignment of the institutional profile
– collaboration with an experienced and dedicated team
– a centrally situated exhibition venue with high visitor frequency
– gross annual salary: € 29,400.–
– weekly working time: 35 hours
– an attractive workspace in downtown Graz with the possibility of working off site as well
– employment begins: January 2, 2023
Camera Austria welcomes applications from individuals of all genders and nationalities, from People of Color, and from applicants with a history of flight or family migration. Persons with a disability will be given priority in the event of equal professional suitability.
The application should contain the following documents (1 PDF file, max. 10 MB):
– Letter of motivation
– CV (max. 3 pages)
– Samples of previous work (max. 10 pages) including exhibitions and/or realized projects, along with examples of self-authored texts