National Gallery in Bulawayo 2016 Residency and exhibition proposal
National Gallery of Zimbabwe, Bulawayo , Zimbabwe Deadline: 30 September 2015
The National Gallery of Zimbabwe is inviting artists wishing to present new ideas and projects in the context of the Bulawayo gallery space and emerging independent curators committed to developing their professional practice are invited to submit exhibition and residency applications and proposals for the 2016 season.
Deadline: September 30, 2015 at midnight
All artists interested in applying for a residency, solo or collaborative exhibitions with an up to date profile and active practitioners, are invited to submit exhibition proposals of their solo or collaborative work for the 2016 season.
1. Artists must submit proposals for the presentation of their own (solo or collaborative) work.
2. For collaborations, artists must confirm interest/availability before they submit the proposal.
3. Artists who have previously exhibited at the NGB in the past 3 years will not be eligible for the 2016 call, but can apply for 2017 onwards.
4. Artists are required to have an active and full 2016 membership to the NGB
While we accept submissions based on all sorts of ideas, in 2016 we will be committed to
1) The work of emerging and under-represented artists, particularly those in the region
2) Work that contributes to the ongoing dialogue about contemporary art practices.
3) Projects that push artistic practice in new and interesting directions.
4) Topics and styles not well represented by private or commercial spaces or otherwise difficult to show elsewhere.
5) The work of artists previously exhibited anywhere in Zimbabwe unless if it’s an itinerant exhibition.
6) Projects that take in account our limited gallery space. Thoughtful and orderly installations that respect the “breathing space” of each artwork tend to work better in our gallery.
Please take note: The above are just guidelines, so don’t worry if your exhibition/ project doesn’t satisfy everything listed; however, you must follow all rules.
How to Submit/ Format Requirements:
Before sending the application, please make sure to have the following prepared:
1. Application letter
2. Up to 10 images of your work. The images should ideally represent the actual work selected
for the exhibition. If this is impossible, the images should represent works that are
comparable to those that will be featured in the exhibition. These images should be JPGS,
no larger than 1024 x 768, 72dpi, preferably under 1MB.
They MUST be named in this format:
2) Up to 3 videos (*optional) of specific works which will be included in the exhibition.
Please make sure each file is under 300MB and less than 5 minutes in length. If the original
video is longer than that, please send an excerpt. Videos should be in MOV, MP4, or AVI
format. Do not include exhibition documentation unless the element of time is integral to
the work (i.e. performance or video installations).
3) A one-page statement describing the concept of the exhibition. The file should be a PDF,
RTF, or Word document.
4) An image list providing an inventory of the images submitted. Include number, artist name,
title, year, medium, and dimensions. Again, make it PDF, RTF, or Word document.
5) Your resume and the resumes of any prospective collaborators.
The Gallery offers residency for 3, 6 and 12 months with an exhibition at the end of the residency, interested artists will be responsible for transport to and from Bulawayo, the gallery will offer subsidised accommodation materials and exhibition space for the 6 to 12 months residency while those applying for the 3 months residency will be the gallery will provide studio and exhibition space artists are expected to cover transport accommodation and material expenses.
Proposals that are incomplete, unreadable, late, or fail to meet the above requirements may not be considered, so PLEASE submit your work well in advance of the deadline to ensure everything is working correctly.
For any questions, please contact the Assistant Curator Cliford Zulu via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 00263970721 www.nationalgallerybyo.com