Haus der Kunst (HdK) is seeking a Head of Program and Research. As a vital part of the senior management team, the role will be instrumental in shaping and implementing HdK’s transformation, which is already underway.
Haus der Kunst is a public museum and a world-leading center for contemporary art without collection. Its activities, exhibitions and educational programs underscore HdK’s commitment to furthering contemporary art’s complex global evolution, unrestricted by geographical, conceptual and cultural boundaries.
With a transnational perspective and involvement in all aspects of museum’s life, this position includes the development and delivery of all HdK activities such as exhibitions, live exhibitions, programs and online activities, supporting the museum’s strategic vision within the context of its mission of contemporary culture-transmission and learning.
Working closely with the artistic director, you will be responsible for the overall development of content development, and research programming. You will be keen on engaging with questions such environmental change, the digital world, natural and artificial intelligence and synthetic biology through sound, music and performance, as well as communal and discursive practices, while driving the transformation process conceptually and organizationally.
You will need to consider the bigger picture as to develop and implement far-reaching and longer term artistic visions. You will question contemporary paradigms and act with the institution from a sustainable artistic and civic point of view, always driven by sharing and learning. You are willing to innovate in a cross-disciplinary context, embracing the process of blurring and shifting boundaries between disciplines.
Your will be managing the curatorial department pursuing strategic direction and its implementation to achieve Haus der Kunst’s vision. You will support the Artistic Director, to whom you will report.
It will be your responsibility to
- supplement existing programs with new projects, events and new formats and to develop them further
- strengthen the character and profile of Haus der Kunst as a locally and globally engaged institution
- stimulate a critical dialogue, as well as increase the visibility of HdK as an urban-connected, interdisciplinary platform for cultural and social engagement, inspiring a broad audience
- ensure HdK’s reaches its goals with regard to inclusion, access, diversity and commitment to society through appropriate internal and external communication, and actions
- lead research, digital initiatives and publishing to ensure programmatic coherence
- propose and curate projects
- lead digital media editorial management and outreach
You are expected to build relationships with international partners, museums, institutions and initiating knowledge exchanges. You are extremely interested in developments in relevant topics in art, society and technology, embracing them with dynamism and originality. Through partnerships with other institutions, as well as local and international research networks, you ensure a flow of exhibitions and touring projects.
You are a coach and mentor for your team, facilitating an inspiring work environment. You discover resources, share knowledge, identify growth potential and encourage individual development.
You act in a goal-oriented manner, contribute to the preparation of funding applications to support content-related programs. In cooperation with the directors, you develop and pursue fundraising initiatives.
Personal integrity and respect in the cultural community distinguish you as a leader in contemporary arts and culture. You are no stranger to organizational management, budgeting, team building and time management.
We expect from you:
- degree (MA or PhD) in the arts or humanities, along with proven research skills
- minimum seven years of professional experience in institutional jobs, as well as success in the implementation of outstanding international projects
- proven track record of developing new work with artists and creative practitioners and delivering large-scale cultural events, including promoting new works or approaches to production
- high level of awareness of the current reconfigurations in the arts from a transnational and transdisciplinary perspective and broad cultural knowledge and interests
- internationally excellent working relationships with colleagues in the arts and contemporary cultural scenes, imaginative flair, and a professional network across all art forms and genres
- in-depth understanding of audience development and deepening active participation in the arts, especially with a view to young audiences with diverse backgrounds
- profound knowledge and comprehensive understanding of digital technological developments
- experience in leading teams in a creative environment
- excellent presentation and communication skills
- fluency in English and in German (working language, or willingness in learning it), both in speaking and writing
As a creative thinker, who can understand the challenges of an institution in its fundamental transformational phases, you are open to alternative ways of generating new angles and approaches to move the organization forward.
Attractive compensation package in conjunction with public institutions tariff and personal preconditions plus benefits.
If we have triggered your interest in this exciting position, we look forward to receiving your detailed application (CV, certificates, references) exclusively by e-mail until 28.05.2021: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your contact person is Cora Szabó.
Stiftung Haus der Kunst München
gemeinnützige Betriebsgesellschaft mbH