The Academy of Fine Arts Mainz, at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU), is the only art academy in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate. The international Artist Residency Schloss Balmoral came under the auspices of the Academy of Fine Arts in 2021. Together they now form a unique partnership in Germany, facilitating a dialogue between art education, artistic development, and mediation.
For the first time under the auspices of the Academy of Fine Arts Mainz, Artist Residency Schloss Balmoral is looking for a new director. Needed is a person with curatorial experience, in depth professional knowledge in the fields of contemporary art and readiness to take on leadership responsibilities. In your role as director, you will successfully position the international scholarship program regionally and internationally, reconceptualizing its structures with new approaches and ways of thinking.
The program is based in Bad Ems.
- Strategic-conceptual orientation of the artist residency and further development
- Executive management and personnel management
- Representation of the artist residency locally, nationally, and internationally
- Artistic programming in collaboration with the art academy
Supervision of the participating national and international fellows:
– Overall responsibility for the artistic supervision of the scholarship holders
– Public programming, studio visitso Supporting artistic projects
– Mentoring, reflection, and mediation of their work
– Overall curatorial responsibility for exhibitions of the artist residency
Organization and supervision for public relations
- Completed art-related studies (PhD, master’s degree with relevant professional experience, diploma) or equivalent knowledge and experience
- Experience in curating exhibitions and organizing events
- Publication activity, high level of formulation confidence
- Familiarity with and openness to working with young artists
- Commitment and joy in developing independent initiatives
- First experience in a leadership role
Very good knowledge in:
– Current art-theoretical discourses
– English, both spoken and in writing
– Conflict and crisis management
– intercultural communication and inclusion
– copyright and data protection regulations
Overall, professional expertise is expected in the general fields of art history and cultural studies with key reference:
20th-century art history, international contemporary art, and current art-theoretical discourses
What Is Offered:
- An exciting new field of artistic work in cooperation with international artists in close exchange between artist residency and the Academy of Fine Arts
- The opportunity to develop your own focus from the synergies of this new constellation
- Various personal development opportunities
- Flexible working hours
The position is remunerated according to EG 13 TV-L and is to be filled from September 1st, 2023 for an unlimited period. Divisible is possible.
The Academy of Fine Arts Mainz is a place of diversity and welcome qualified applications from people with different backgrounds. People with severe disabilities will be given preference if they are suitably qualified.
Applications from older candidates are welcome.
The Academy aims to increase the number of women in management positions and therefore encourage female candidates to apply.
Please apply with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, max. 2 excerpts from publications (each up to 3 pages long), references, education certificates by March 19th, 2023, via the “Apply now” button on the website or here. The interviews are scheduled for April 24, 2023.
If you have any questions, please contact the Rector Dr. Martin Henatsch, Tel: 06131/39-32122 (Rectorate secretariat).