Rencontres d’Arles & Institut français, Arles, France Deadline: 13 June 2019
Aurore Valade, 2018.
In the framework of the Africa 2020 season, the Rencontres d’Arles and Institut français are launching a curatorial research grant open to citizens of an African country who are based in Africa most of the time.
RULES OF PARTICIPATION
1 — PURPOSE
The Rencontres d’Arles & Institut français curatorial research grant is aimed at African curators wishing to carry out an unprecedented exhibition project in connection with images/photography.
– The selected project’s curator will receive a €5,000 grant.
– The budget and schedule will be submitted to the direction of the Rencontres d’Arles for approval.
– After the research period, the curator must send the artistic direction of the Rencontres d’Arles a note to validate the feasibility of carrying out the project and presenting it as an exhibition (stage 2).
STAGE 2 — PRODUCTION & INSTALLATION
After agreement, the project will enter the production and installation stage, supported by the Rencontres d’Arles.
> The €20,000 budget managed by the Rencontres d’Arles includes:
– Loans of works
– Round-trip shipping of the works to and from Arles
– Production of works: printing/framing, wallpaper, etc.
– Assistance with installation
– Invitation of the curator and possibly the artists’ accommodations in Arles during opening week
> The curator agrees to:
– Select the works for the exhibition and determine their presentation and reproduction rights
– Draft a text presenting the selection of photographs
– Be present during the festival’s opening week and participate in the guided tour of the exhibition.
In addition to this budget, the Rencontres d’Arles will cover the costs of scenography, installation and dismantling of the exhibition and security.
4 – SCHEDULE
> 13 May
Opening of applications
> 13 June
> 1 to 7 July
Announcement of the results during the Rencontres d’Arles opening week
> summer 2019 to autumn 2019
Stage 1, research
> From winter 2019 for the summer 2020 exhibition
After validation, stage 2, production of the exhibition