Frans Masereel Centrum, Kasterlee, Belgium
07 Jul 2014 - 01 Aug 2014
During a residency at Frans Masereel Centrum you will learn how to use the graphical techiques for the creation of your own artistic work. In the workshop, all the facilities to work with intaglio, relief printing, screen print or lithography will be offered, but there’s also a risograph and laser cutter. Two workshop managers are there to provide technical assistance when needed.
– 4 to 6 weeks
– During the general residency programma, the artist or graphic designer realizes a print project that matches his or her personal oeuvre.
– No prior knowledge of the graphic medium is required, but residents are expected to work on their own. Two staff members are available for techical advice or help.
– 8 weeks
– This residency is aimed at the research of the graphic medium. The wide range of printing techniques available at the centre provides the opportunity to study technical aspects, innovative processes and graphic visual elements
– The result of the research will be published in the PRINT LAB on the centre’s website.
– 4 weeks
– Critics, artists and theoreticians can reside at the centre to write a critical text on a print related topic.
– The essay can relate to one or several resident artists, to an exhibition on graphic media, or to research about the graphic medium.
Costs: 155 Euro per week
This includes the use of the workshop and your accomodation in a private little house with cooking facilities and bathroom.
Procedure: Apply through the online application form before the deadline on August 1st 2014. A professional jury makes the selection of residents before September 1st. Shortly afterwards, you will be notified whether or not you have been selected.
•August 1st 2014 for first half of 2015
•February 1st 2015 for second half of 2015
For more information on admission please read the application form on the website.
Frans Masereel Centrum (1972) is part of the Flemish government offers residencies and a working space to graphic designers, artists and critics who want to work with intaglio, relief printing, screen print or lithography, or who want to investigate the relationship of graphic techniques with other visual arts. The focus is on creation and experimentation in the workshop. Frans Masereel Centrum anno 2014 is a graphical laboratory in which the possibilities of graphical applications are being researched, widened and reformulated.
Besides residencies, Frans Masereel Centrum organizes print projects such as exhibitions and the annual Print Art Fair, and it supports artist publications.