The Bag Factory is inviting applications for STUDIO SPACE and the VISITING ARTISTS PROGRAMME.
The Bag Factory is offering a studied studio space for 1 artist as of 01 April 2015. The programme will run for 1 year and is aimed at a young artist who is starting out their career and in need of support and the informal mentorship that the Bag Factory offers.
Who is eligible?
The artist must be:
? a full-time practicing visual artist who is capable of regularly using a studio in their visual arts practice.
? An artist with a willingness to be involved in the Bag Factory’s projects and events
? attend any and all artists meetings
Although the studio space will be free for the artist, for the period of 1 year, there will be a deposit of R1600 will be payable over a period of 3 months. This will be returned to you once the project comes to an end on 01 April 2016.
What do I receive during this programme
– A rent free studio that is approximately 15m², with 2 wooden walls suitable for hanging
– An electricity point is provided for standard use. (kiln’s, air conditioners, and other high voltage devices need to be discussed with the office.)
– Wireless internet access
– Basic security
– Become part of the Bag Factory community
This programme is very generously funded by Artist Sam Nhlengethwa.
VISITING ARTISTS PROGRAMME
The Bag Factory is looking for three visiting artists’ to join our visiting artists programme at the Bag Factory. The artists will spend 10 weeks working at the Bag Factory and the new OR Tambo Environmental and Narrative center in Ekurhuleni.
We are looking for one artist from Africa, one artist from South Africa (but not from Johannesburg) and one artists from Johannesburg (ideally from the Ekurhuleni region).
The programme offers the artist an opportunity to interact with local artists, to expand your network internationally and to experience a climate of cultural diversity. Working at the studios and at the Center, you will get to know the permanent artists at the Bag Factory, the city of Johannesburg and something about the art world in Johannesburg and South Africa.
Visiting artists are expected to:
* work from the Bag Factory, interacting with Bag Factory and local artists, and experiencing the city,
* produce new works to be exhibited at the Bag Factory before the end of their stay,
* conduct at least one community oriented outreach programme,
* complete a written report on their visit,
* donate a work to the Bag Factory
* arrive on time and stay for the full period (three months),
What will a successful applicant receive?
* Accommodation for people participating from outside of the city
* A studio space
* A basic monthly per diem to cover food and transportation within the city.
* A small materials budget for art production while you are here.
* A small budget for an outreach community workshop
* The costs of your exhibition, within reason, will be covered by the Bag Factory.
What do visiting artists need to source for themselves?
* Participation fee
* Travel Insurance
* Visa costs
* Transport costs to and from South Africa
* Costs of shipping works back to their country of origin if they choose to do so.
This applicant must be able to participate in the full programme starting on 04 May and ending on 22 July 2015.
Applicants should not expect to profit financially from their stay in South Africa, as this is cultural development programme.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS is Friday 20 March, 4pm 2015
Please send all applications to: email@example.com.
How are the applications assessed?
Applications are assessed by a selection committee made up of artists, curators, academics and buyers.
Applicants must submit:
? a representative portfolio of work produced in the past five years of at least 10 works and no more than 20, preferably by email. Images should not be larger than 300kb and each email no larger than 2MB.
? a substantial curriculum vitae with full names, references, addresses and contact numbers
? a brief letter of motivation, not more than one A4 page long, outlining reasons for wishing to join the programme and why specifically you wish to come to the Bag Factory
? a brief proposal for a small community outreach workshop to be conducted by you
? details of sources of funding, if any (residency applicants only)
? If you have attended any other workshops or residencies of the Triangle Arts Network such as Greatmore, Thupelo, Thapong, Kuona, or Batapata, please specify where and when.