For the regular annual residencies, 32° East invites visual artists who are looking to develop their practice to submit their applications. Residences will take place at 32° East for up to 3 months from October 2022 and 2023 in Kampala, Uganda. We will be hosting the residencies in collaboration with Afropocene Studio Lab as we complete the new 32° East Studios.
Flexible in format, the residencies are focused on assisting an artist to develop into the next stage of their career. This can include the development of a concept, pushing the limits of their respective mediums and/or intensive research.
The residency offers:
– Studio space for up to three months: 24-hour access to a private, lockable studio
– Weekly transport per diem (for travel within Kampala)
– Monthly materials budget
– Free lunch at 32° East
– An art specific and Africa focused library with journals, magazines, books, catalogues and DVDs
– Mentorship opportunities with 32° East staff and previous artists in residence.
– Access to Mac computer (with Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro), scanner, projector, medium-format camera, digital printers
– Outdoor meeting and discussion area
– Weekly one-on-one or group critique sessions
– Documentation of residency through a 2-minute video profile and photographs
– Opportunities to meet visiting arts managers, curators, journalists and collectors
– Potential to collaborate with our over 100 members
– Accommodation for artists coming from outside Uganda
Please note that this fully funded residency programme supported by Ignite Culture: ACP – EU Culture Programme (Eastern Africa)and is available to Ugandan and East African artists only.
Artists have developed new bodies of work and aspects of their practice and we are looking for Ugandan and East African artists of any age or visual arts medium to join us in 2022 and do the same. See more of their previous artists in residents here – ugandanartstrust.org
Applications for 2022-2023 residencies are open from the 27th of June to the 31st of July at 11:59PM.
To complete your application, please fill out the form on their website. If you have trouble with uploading, you can email your images to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 32 RESIDENCY_SURNAME.