ARTIST IN RESIDENCE MUNICH, Ebenböckhaus, and salta art are offering a residency for contemporary visual artists from South America from 6 July to 27 September 2023. The artist-in-residence will live and work at Ebenböckhaus in Munich, Germany. During their stay, the artist is expected to give a public lecture, a performance, a workshop, an exhibition or a similar event. The residency takes place within the framework of Various Others, a program that aims to improve the dialogue between the Munich art scene and international partners, guests, and the media.
The Ebenböckhaus is in the center of the district of Munich-Pasing and is well connected in terms of transport and utilities. There is a large apartment for three guests with lockable living / sleeping rooms, shared kitchen, and bathroom / WC and three rooms (52 m²) for work and public presentation opportunities. In coordination with other users – two archives and cultural associations in the neighborhood – , the foyer on the ground floor / the passage room to the park and the park belonging to the house can also be used for events. (Photos:www.air-m.de/gallery)
salta art is a non-profit arts organization under the direction of Agustina Strüngmann, the goal of which is to promote artistic exchange between South America and the City and region of Munich. This will be achieved through artist residencies, conferences (physical and virtual), performances, workshops, publications, and public events in Munich.
The cultural exchange, in which salta art is partnering with the City of Munich and local arts institutions, will open new doors for the contemporary art scene in Munich and help strengthen international relationships among artists, curators, other professionals working in the arts, and art enthusiasts. They are confident that this program will generate and help implement fresh ideas and enrich the cultural scene of Munich in the long term, creating potential synergies for future endeavours.
The residency holder receives a monthly stipend of € 1.200 from the City of Munich as part of the residency program. The accommodation is rent-free, the costs for monthly tickets with public transport are reimbursed. Travel costs from South America to Munich and back will be covered by salta art (economy / 2nd class). For additional readings, workshops, seminars, or research trips the residency holder will be reimbursed for his expenses and receive an honorarium by Salta art. Material costs are reimbursed to a certain amount upon receipt, depending on the available budget in 2023.
- People who have already held a residency at Villa Waldberta or Ebenböckhaus are not eligible. Candidates will not receive any special favors for pre-existing associations with salta art, the City of Munich or other organizers.
- The applicant must be based or reside in South America
- The application is is for individuals who are pursuing visual arts as their primary professional activity.
- Candidate artists for the residency may work in any field of art, including painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, film, video, digital art, and performance, or a combination of media.
- The residency is designed for candidates who have earned a measure of professional recognition – in the form of exhibitions, reviews, works included in collections, awards, etc. but who are still growing and developing their body of work.
- A level of good spoken English is required
- Third parties can’t apply on behalf of a candidate.
- Only applications that are fulfilling all requirements and documents will be considered.
- The candidate must comply with all contractual requirements of the City of Munich as the operator of the Ebenböckhaus Residency. The chosen candidate will receive a separate contract.
- Applications must be completed by the applicant personally. Third parties cannot apply on behalf of a candidate. The application forms must be completed in English
They kindly ask you to send the following documents by November 15th, 2022, midnight (Central European Summer Time)
- Personal Information (Name, Artistic Name, Email, Nationality, Address, Phone)
- the name and contact information of one referee (no letter required)
- Biography (max. 200 words)
- Detailed CV (4 pages max)
- Letter of intent (min. 200 words)
- Introduction and Description of your practice (max. 500 words)
- Samples of work: portfolio, link to exhibitions, projects, or/and writing
The documents should not exceed 20 pages and 10 MB. Please send it all to firstname.lastname@example.org
They welcome applications from people based and residing in South America, of any religion, sexual identity, age group and social background. The Ebenböckhaus is not barrier-free.
The selection will be made by a committee consisting of the salta art council (Maurin Dietrich, German curator, Director of Kunstverein München, Kiki Mazzucchelli, Brazilian curator, Artistic Director at Galeria Luisa Strina, São Paulo, Brazil, and José Roca, Colombian curator, Artistic Director of rīvus, the 23rd Biennale of Sydney), a representative of the Cultural Department of the City of Munich and if necessary, the involvement of external experts. They will inform you about the success of your application by the latest January 15th, 2023.
Depending on the course of the Covid-19 pandemic, they reserve the right to make changes in accordance with the applicable legal regulations.
Your data will be handled in accordance with the legal requirements. They point out that communication by e-mail is not encrypted and may have security gaps.
For questions regarding content please contact salta art, info[at]saltaart.org, for questions regarding the Ebenböckhaus please contact air-m[at]muenchen.de.