Guest Artists Space Foundation (G.A.S.) is currently seeking a dedicated and passionate individual to fill the role of Managing Director to be based full time at Guest Artists Space Foundation in Lagos, Nigeria. This unique opportunity is perfect for someone who truly embraces the creative and cultural sector in Nigeria and is eager to make a substantial impact. As the Managing Director, you will oversee the administration, practical operations, programming, and local fundraising efforts of this Lagos-based organisation, acting on behalf of the board.
Working closely with the partner organisation, Yinka Shonibare Foundation (Y.S.F.), and the board of Trustees, you will ensure the Guest Artists Space Foundation maintains effective finance, legal compliance, and good governance. Additionally, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the residency space in Lagos, as well as the farm in Ijebu. Leading a small and dynamic team, you will spearhead the successful execution of all residencies, projects, partnerships, and events. To excel in this position, you must possess an entrepreneurial spirit, flexibility, and a creative problem-solving mindset, along with exceptional organisation, project management, and interpersonal skills.
Contract: Full Time
Location: Based at Guest Artists Space Foundation, Oniru, Lagos. Some national, international and UK travel required.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Very competitive salary, commensurate with experience of leading role in other industries
- Pension contributions
- Life and Health Insurance
- 20 Days paid holiday per year plus Federal public holidays
- International travel allocation
- Professional development allocation
Responsible to: Guest Artists Space (G.A.S.) Foundation Trustee Directors and the CEO of Yinka Shonibare Foundation (UK);
Responsible for: G.A.S. Residency Manager, Communications and Development Manager, Residency Operations Coordinator (Ijebu), Apprentices and Freelance staff
Strategic Relationships: Oversight from The Board of Trustees, Yinka Shonibare Foundation
This is a once in a lifetime role for someone who is truly passionate about working, leading and contributing to the burgeoning creative and cultural sector in Nigeria. Guest Artists Space Foundation (G.A.S.) is looking for an exceptional person to lead the administration, practical operations, programming and local fundraising of this Lagos based organisation on behalf of the board.
The role requires the Managing Director to lead and manage this developing organisation which has already demonstrated big ambitions. To work closely with the Trustees to ensure the effective finance, legal and good governance of the Guest Artists Space Foundation.
The Managing Director will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the residency space in Lagos and on the farm in Ijebu. The successful applicant will lead a small and dynamic team and will be generally responsible for the exceptional delivery of all residencies, projects, partnerships and events. You will need to be entrepreneurial and flexible with a creative approach to problem solving, exceptional organisation, project and people management skills.
You will liaise and work very closely with our partner organisation Yinka Shonibare Foundation (Y.S.F.) and their CEO based in the UK, in the strategic development, governance, fundraising, project and residency planning of G.A.S.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain a strong productive relationship with the Chair and Board including planning and organising agendas and board papers for trustee meetings
- To ensure that G.A.S. fulfils all its legal, statutory and regulatory responsibilities
- To run the operations of G.A.S. efficiently and effectively in order to fulfil its strategic
objectives and to carry out its work on time and in budget
- To identify appropriate methods for monitoring the performance of the foundation and to
report back to the board and Y.S.F CEO on the performance of the charity against its
business, operational and annual plans as approved by the board
- To ensure that all decisions and programmes support the agreed vision, mission, values,
philosophy and strategic priorities of G.A.S.
- To ensure that the recruitment, management, training and development of staff reflect good
employment practice and are directed towards achieving the foundation’s objectives
- Lead, manage and have oversight of staff and freelancers, providing support, vision and
- Actively seek to implement the Foundations Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Fiscal,
GDPR, Privacy and Safeguarding policies
- Lead, contribute and participate in a collaborative working environment with G.A.S. and
Y.S.F., including team meetings, workshops, training and other conversations
- Be prepared to work outside of normal office hours in the delivery of events and project
activities and for some overseas travel
- Any other reasonable responsibilities as directed by the G.A.S. Board and the CEO of Y.S.F.
Finance and Development
- Report to the Board Finance Committee quartely with comprehensive financial papers
- Produce quarterly accounts, forecasts, local fundraising targets, organisation and project
budgets updating Y.S.F. regularly
- Oversight and management of all the accounts, invoicing, data input using Xero, with support
from contracted accountants
- Work with the board and Y.S.F. to create, manage and maintain relationships with HNWi and
corporates in Nigeria
Communications and Programme
- Work closely with Y.S.F. in overseeing and then delivering a communications strategy for G.A.S. with your team
- Oversee the marketing, database and communications functions across G.A.S.
- To manage relationships with project partners, and represent G.A.S. to other external
- To carry out wrap reports, evaluation and monitoring of programmes on behalf of G.A.S. and
it’s partners to fulfill contractual obligations and build on lessons learnt and experience
- Oversee and contribute to all content for e- newsletters, social media and press releases for
projects, residencies and related events
- Work with Y.S.F. in the development of the Residency Programme for the Foundation’s two
- Develop the public, education and events programmes in Lagos and on the Farm
- Coordinate and liaise with project stakeholders, partners, residents and collaborators
- Lead the resident liaison and pre-residency planning to ensure best-fit infrastructure and
logistical support for each resident
- Write offer letters, residency agreements, operating guidelines, area guides and key forms
- Respond to ongoing general enquiries from artists and unsolicited proposals
- Oversee with the G.A.S. team all residents stays ensuring they have a high quality, safe and
productive experience with G.A.S.
- Oversea and coordinate all event logistics and production
Requirements and Experience
We recognize that individuals have diverse life experiences and trajectories that qualify them for this role. The following partial list of requirements reflects what we believe will be helpful in a successful Managing Director of Guest Artists Space Foundation.
- Minimum – Bachelor’s degree level in any relevant field
- 5+ year’s experience leading and managing teams, experience hiring, mentoring, and
collaborating with a small, committed team
- 5+ year’s experience managing an organization or performing significant administrative functions in an organization, including budget and tax preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting; project management; and strategic planning and development
- Experience and ability to make effective and inspiring public presentations, reports and presentations for a wide range of audiences
- Interest in the arts and cultural sectors
- Excellent command of English language, copywriting and proofreading skills
- Willingness to work occasional weekends and evenings as required
- Excellent computer literacy, including data management relating to financial control, word
processing and internet-based systems
- Understanding and commitment to support diversity, equity, access and inclusion of all
people as an international arts and culture organisation
- Knowledge of contemporary Nigerian and wider African arts and cultural sector
- Experience in partnership and fundraising development
- Knowledge and experience of high-quality arts programming relevant to existing and
emerging arts audiences
- Eligibility to live and work in Nigeria
- A good network of relevant contacts and stakeholder
This job description sets out the main requirements of the post but is not prescriptive nor an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities. The post holder is expected to work flexibly within the general provisions of this job description. Other duties may be assigned either permanently or temporarily which are considered to be within the general remit of this role.
1. A cover letter on why you would like to lead G.A.S. as the Managing Director and importantly, how your experience is relevant to this. Provide specific examples of what you have done and how you believe this demonstrate that you meet the requirements above. (No more than 2 pages of A4 or 1000 words)
2. A CV with two professional referees (references will only be taken for shortlisted candidates)
- Application are reviewed on a rolling basis until the post is filled.
- Applications and any queries emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Expect to undergo several stages of interviews and assessments.
- We anticipate that the successful candidate would be in post as soon as possible.