ART X Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria Deadline: 15 April 2021
The role of the Curatorial Associate involves the development, planning and implementation of curatorial strategies and activities that will contribute to the growth of the Curatorial Department at ART X Collective.
This individual will work with the Curator / CEO to ensure the company is able to meet its strategic objectives and goals. It requires someone with experience in the curatorial field who can perform the stated responsibilities with minimal or no supervision.
Some core skills and attributes for the best-fit candidate include creativity, a good eye for art, good judgment in developing the right partnerships with new stakeholders, great content development and captivating storytelling and writing abilities for the interpretation of art.
Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills are also essential as relating with internal and external stakeholders is a key part of the role.
ART X Collective builds platforms and businesses to empower Africa’s creative talent. Founded by Tokini Peterside, the company’s current platforms include:
● ART X Lagos – the premier international art fair in West Africa
● The ART X Prize – Nigeria’s leading award for emerging visual artists
● ART X Live! – a dynamic live showcase and launchpad for rising musicians and artists.
ART X Collective also includes an advisory arm, and since 2013 has supported pioneering entrepreneurs and brands across the culture, design and luxury sectors.
Job Category: Full-Time
Job Level: Associate
Reporting Relationship: Curator / CEO
● Develop and execute curatorial plans in order to support the delivery of the goals of the company and its future ambitions.
● Draft written content and collate supporting images for curatorial projects.
● Communicate with artists, collaborators and team members to develop and execute
curatorial initiatives, projects and propose ideas/initiatives for the company.
● Building and maintaining relations with new and existing artists.
● Research contemporary artists and contemporary art trends, as well as innovations to
feature in various projects.
● Promote new ideas and ways of handling curatorial activities and special projects by
being creative, experimental and ingenious.
● Support the Marketing Department with curatorial content (content calendar) and the
communication of company initiatives.
● Coordination of bookings, logistics and support in the preparation of schedules and
itineraries for visiting guests involved in curatorial programming.
● Prepare drafts of post-mortem reports, and suggestions for improvements, at various
stages of ongoing initiatives.
● Stay abreast of relevant contemporary art, culture and social media trends.
● Other tasks, administrative or research duties assigned by the Curator/ CEO.
Preferred Skills and Requirements:
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Great organisational and project management skills
● Passion for arts and culture
● Determined and resourceful
● Ability to excel under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
● Admirable attention to detail
● Excellent research skills